From many People of Color in New York, Cannabis legalization is more then just another tax commodity. It is the end of decades of cannabis prohibition that has affected millions.
“Over the last twenty years, the enforcement of marijuana prohibition has devastated communities across the state of New York. It has been a tool for the hyper-criminalization of young people of color and has been the justification for unconstitutional policing practices.”
Don’t Know What I Mean?
Then check out this video by the Drug Policy Alliance teaming up with Jay Z and Molly Crabapple.
So What Can You Do?
👉🏾 Find your assembly person and their address HERE
👉🏾 Find your senator and their address HERE
👉🏾 Download, Sign and Mail THIS LETTER that addresses pathways for education, jobs and support.
Time is of the Essence
Since April is right around the corner, join me and many others in having the following points be heard by sending out the letter asap:
- Social Equity Programs DAY ONE at local, state, and federal levels that provides licensing,business assistance, capital and mentorship to women, people of color, and those who havebeen directly impacted by cannabis prohibition.
- Affordable and/or subsidized cannabis medicine for low-income patients.
- Earmarking of cannabis tax revenue for communities impacted by the the War on Drugs.
- Provide resource hubs, incubators worker protections, healthcare, living wages, unionization,worker-owned businesses, in the cannabis industries.
- Control both the size and the number of licenses for both large and out-of-state operations.
- Help structure a craft farming industry similar to the craft brewing industry.
- New laws authorizing the growing of new crops include the Carbon Farming Act.
- Pushing Auto vacate of cannabis convictions and post-conviction relief.
- Access to jobs and ownership regardless of prior criminal cannabis convictions.
- Giving immigrants and DACA protected citizens ways to be part of the cannabis industry withoutfear of deportation and/or ICE.
(Letter by www.humblebloom.co)